Tuesday, June 03, 2008

"so he knows he's a duck"

Well, my daydream of being momma to the little ducky has been shattered...by the reality of how gross ducks really are. Basically, they put stuff in one end and manage to produce about 200% more stuff out the other. Even teensy duckling droppings are revolting. I don't like tip-toeing through it at the park and I'm certainly in no position to do so in my own back yard. Besides, the wildlife rescue center said they'd place my little foundling with some other little ducklings around its age "so he would know he's a duck." Wolf's duck may have ruled the dogs at his mom's house (clearly under the delusion that it was alpha-doberman,) but somehow, I think it would have little street cred with the raccoons....

I do think he'll do well once he has his freedom and clearly, his freedom is dear to him. When I went into the storage room to take him to the wildlife center, I found an empty bin. An empty 20" bin. 3.5" duckling sans developed wings....I thought he worked his way up the weeds I threw in to keep him sheltered. I found him as he ran from his hiding space and put him back without his weedy accomplices. 5 minutes later - gone. I still don't know how he did it. I only wish I'd had my camera handy when I found him. He made his way into a box of stuffed animals...and snuggled up between them. I'm pretty sure it's where he spent the night before, as well. It was one of the cutest things we've ever seen....

These pictures will have to suffice to remind us of our little duckling adventure.

4 comments:

Angela Anderson Photography said...

You're so awesome, Kitty. I cannot believe I am lucky enough to have you come visit me again and so soon! If only Columbus were the next city over!!! See you on Friday!

Anonymous said...

What a cute duckling. Too bad he's gross. Cute shot of you too!

Joan Evans said...

Ok...LOVE your work...been stalking on the Pictage Forum, but this is seriously too funny. I grew up with weird animals (out in the country) and I always think it's hysterical when people realize HOW much poop even the smallest little fellow can make. Sorry to miss this year's Flourish...saving my pennies.
-Joan

kitty said...

"I always think it's hysterical when people realize HOW much poop even the smallest little fellow can make."

haha! Seriously! Why couldn't this little guy make little compact poops like a mouse? That I can handle. But this was gross...and he wasn't very hygienic...he got it all over his own tail and I don't think he had the good sense to be embarrassed...